Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

With a little help.


As my third year of college comes to a close, my mind is cluttered with things that have absolutely nothing to do with final exams-- macaron baking, room organizing, and (future) baby naming.

And then my mind does its usual pondering and reflecting on the past year, the past three years, and just life in general.

It was never easy (and still isn't easy) but sometimes I wonder how I made it this far. Maybe I don't give myself enough credit, but something has to be said about how I've soldiered on when I didn't feel like soldiering on any more.

After three years of big-girl school, I've truly come to realize what is really important when burgeoning into young adulthood. I know so many young woman, from my family, from friends and from beyond that are entering that seemingly terrible reality that is high school and college. I can see the same vulnerability in them that I had when I was younger. Quite frankly, I'm still rather vulnerable myself. And I'm working it.

When these girls ask for advice or for any reassurance that everything is going to be okay, I usually am at a loss. When my life isn't as I hope it to be, am I one to be giving advice? How can I tell someone that everything is going to be okay when I'm still trying to convince myself the same thing?

I will say, however, one thing. If I have learned anything from the last few months of high school until now, it's that you truly are the company you keep. Surround yourself with positive people. I don't mean perky, always-has-a-super-creepy-smile kind of positive. I mean people who have good hearts, with genuine passions, with a sense of purpose. Be around individuals whom can push you to be the best you can be. Not necessarily perfect people (because let's be real, those don't exist), but people whom you can learn from. Whether it is geometry, how to properly wear black and navy together, or just...how to be a good friend.

The wonderful people you befriend will help you grow into the person you want to be, and you can be a wonderful friend to them as well. The friends you make in college and beyond should aspire to inspire, and you will be a much better person from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment